First published: 17 Oct 2011
Sunport, Takamatsu. By day...
The first few days in Takamatsu were an absolute whirlwind. Still somewhat sleep deprived after the Tokyo Orientation, my fellow JETs and I quickly accustomed to our new life.
The initial days involved mostly setting up house; purchases of homeware, vacuum cleaners, ironing boards, etc... as well as an iPhone 4. Sadly, I had already had an iPhone 4 back in the UK - but it would no longer work in Japan without huge call fees. Buying a second one wasn't so bad, however - I got one in a snazzy white colour this time (what was more frustrating was the fact that the iPhone 4S was very shortly released a few weeks later).
...and night.
Sunset.
The first full days were also spent exploring the amazing city and getting to know each other better. On my first full day to myself, I set off early to explore the beautiful shrine right on my doorstep. Many stairs up a small mountain, I took my Canon 60D up with me too take some shots - though nearly collapsed when I reached the summit. I took some hasty snaps with my new iPhone before running back downhill for water.
The shrine.
The one thing they don't tell you about Japan in Summer - it's hot. Especially if you're from Scotland.
Beautiful. My house is down there.
Settling into Takamatsu at a breakneck pace, we quickly learned of the hot spots and highlights we would have to see during our time here. While the intense heat challenged us every step of the way, the beautiful scenery was well worth the effort.
Of particular highlight in those early days were our visits to both Risturin Garden...
...and Mount Yashima.
Through a series of introductory meetings and seminars, we became acquainted with the fellow JETs from Kagawa prefecture and started to understand more of what was expected of us as we prepared for the work ahead. Simultaneously, we were priviliged enough to be invited to meetings with both the Mayor of Takamatsu City and the Governor of Kagawa prefecture.
Meeting the Mayor of Takamatsu City.
There was a fair bit of media coverage of us in the local press and television... Very exciting, but sadly my Japanese wasn't strong enough to understand any of it.
As our formal work at the school started in our second week in Takamatsu, we made damn sure to fit as much into those early days as we possibly could. Of course, this being Japan, there certainly wasn't a shortage of things to see. Walking down the Takamatsu Shotengai (shopping mall) and the massive Youme Town shopping mall provided plenty of highlights.
The wonderful store that specialises in Studio Ghibli.
The price of fruit here is remarkably high.
Of particular note are the massage chairs. Enjoyable, yet perhaps a tad too friendly...
"I feel like this chair should have bought me a drink before this."
- Hannah Warren
Summer time in Japan is a big time for festivals. Luckily for us, Takamatsu being so close to its neighbouring cities, there were plenty of events for us to attend in the weekends and the evenings. Attending festivals in Sakaide, Tokushima - and of course, Takamatsu itself - proved a great way to mingle and socialise with the local community the JETs before us had formed here in Kagawa. Meeting both the gaijin (foreigner) community and native Japanese citizens was an exciting experience and made me feel very welcome.
Our work proper began in our second week in Takamatsu. Despite our exhaustion, our real routine began to settle down and I was amazed at how quickly I felt at home in this place and this community. Takamatsu is a truly beautiful city - if a little warm - and I feel privileged to be able to work and live in such a fascinating and rich place. It's somewhere I'm glad to be a part of.
I like it here.
Still, this is Japan. Some things are going to take some getting used to...
There are no words.
No comments:
Post a Comment