Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Arriving in Japan: JET Tokyo Orientation 2011

First published: 14 Oct 2011

Me and my fellow Kagawa prefectural JETs at the Tokyo Orientation.

On July 31st 2011, I landed at Tokyo Narita airport. My first moments on Asian soil, and the beginning of a new life in Japan.

Staying at the beautiful Keio Plaza Hotel for the next few days, myself and hundreds of JETs from many countries around the world took part in the annual Tokyo Orientation event. One of the most pleasant surprises was that my room was shared with a fellow Fifer from North Queensferry (!) - Ross Curran, a fellow Raith Rovers supporter. Needless to say, I was rather happy about this...

The days consisted of lectures and seminars set to prepare us for our working life in Japan. While all of the information was helpful and informative, we were all exhausted from the time differences (for myself, that was eight hours, as Japan's time zone is eight hours ahead of the UK's GMT). However, everyone was in good spirits - particularly when the evening welcome parties began!

Enjoying a beverege with Michael Upsher (top left), Taylor Moyer (bottom left), Alasdair Adams (second right), and a random Japanese man who jumped into our photograph.

Of course, this being Tokyo... We were all keen to see the sights of the city. Every night, all of the JETs headed into the Shibuya area to check out what was available. Unfortunately we didn't have much time to sightsee or enjoy the surroundings, and with everyone feeling somewhat exhausted, we barely scratched the surface of a very, very small area in Tokyo. 

However, for me, this was my first experience being loose in Japan.

And it was bloody exciting.

Only saw a fraction of what this amazing city had to offer. What we did see, however, was incredible. Check out the unmanned, underground capsule dispenser area we found in a random sidestreet!

A particular highlight of our time in Tokyo was our visit to the British Embassy. There, we were greeted not only to a drinks reception, but also a Teito drumming display from the Embassy's very own Teito team! We even got to try out the drums for ourselves... needless to say, I was terrible!
  
Teito drumming: Just one of Japan's amazing traditions.

So... long days, exciting nights. Yet what made these days so memorable, for me, was the people.

Hanging out with Chantelle Ejimofo and Alisdair Adams.

JET recruits so many diverse people from so many countries across the world. The Tokyo Orientation is one of the most international platforms I've ever had the privilege of attending, and meeting so many new and exciting people was a wonderful experience. It's interesting... I came to Japan to experience it's culture, and in just a few short days, I got to see so many other cultures, too!

While all of us have been distributed far and wide across Japan, many of us have stayed in touch and are planning reunions and visits throughout the year. The amount of interesting people you'll meet right away - all of whom are in the same position as you! - is very encouraging. As much as I love the fun of teaching English in schools, JET has been rewarding just in allowing me to meet so many fascinating people, too. JET has such a wide and welcoming community that I felt at home almost immediately.
My last dinner in Tokyo with new and good friends.

So... An enjoyable few days in Tokyo, but frustrating all the same. It was incredibly difficult to know all of the wonders of Japan's capital were just on our doorstep but also so far out of reach. It served as a wonderful teaser, though - I'm desperate to go back. Tokyo is a huge, fascinating city with so many diverse and unique places to see.

I can't wait to return.

Of course, after all this fun, I headed off to Kagawa prefecture with my new colleagues...

...and that's when the story really begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment